It’s officially been a month since I arrived in Sydney! I am unemployed yet again…third time in 3 weeks — kind of exciting really! I have a few promising positions out there, but I will post again when I am actually employed.
– I got this sales job that sounded like I would be making about 800 – 1000/week (Australian dollars, which is not as good as it sounds but definitely livable wages for me). We started on what they called a road trip, which sounds really fun, but it wasn’t.
– We drove over 3 hours away to a place called Bathurst, and we stayed in this lovely house. Apparently it was the best accommodation any of the other people in the group had experienced in their time with the company.
– So the job was to go door to door, disturbing people’s lives in order to convince them to change their electricity company to our brand which was supposedly cheaper (and I would get $40 for every sale I made). If you Google the company, however, the reviews are horrendous. All the customers give one star or less and call the company thieves… (I know, I know, what was I thinking?) I honestly should have known better, but they didn’t give us the name of the company until we were already signing papers.
– Needless to say, the entire week was a nightmare. Of course, there were some really sweet people in the group and that helped a bit. However, I did not make a single sale (and as a result, I didn’t make a single dollar)…mostly because anytime I spoke to someone who was the least bit interested, I would start to genuinely like so I wouldn’t push them to sign up for a company that was going to screw them over. I sat with one older lady for over an hour, knowing after the first 5 minutes she wasn’t going to sign up. She was so sweet though, we talked about how much I hated the job and her grandchildren who were traveling (one in America!).
– On my last day I didn’t bother knocking on a single door. I just sat out in the sun (sometimes the shade) and walked around and looked at the beautiful houses and enjoyed the lovely weather…It turned out to be a pretty nice day.
– Boy was I glad to come back to Sydney though! Chris and Alex (a couple we met through Ultimate Oz) and Grace and I all went to Wet and Wild, a water park, on Sunday. It was heaps of fun! It did get pretty cold getting in and our of the water rides, but we had a really great time. We went on one of those slides where the floor drops from under you and you just shoot down the slide! Oh my gosh!! It was a blast!!
– My landlord is a personal trainer, so I just started training with him this week! I am really excited to get back into shape. I feel so much better everyday getting a work out in. That being said, I can’t walk or move my arms at the moment. Day 4 tomorrow! Here goes nothing…
– Yesterday was Grace’s birthday, so we really spoiled ourselves! A group of us (all from Ultimate Oz) went to the Sydney Tower Buffet! This restaurant sits on top of pole and rotates slowly throughout the meal so you get to see a 360degree bird’s eye view of the the city! It was great! Expensive!! But the food was fantastic!! We had Kangaroo Rump, Emu Sausage, Crocodile Sausage and obviously so much more. We could barely breathe by they time we were walking out. Never ending buffets are dangerous!
– I had a hell of a time finding the tower though. Not because I did’t know where it was, but because I kept getting on the wrong bus! When I would look up what bus to take on my GPS, I swear I would get on the correct one, but every time the bus would move I would end up farther away from my destination. I figured it would have to turn around eventually so I stayed on until the bus driver told me it was the last stop. I finally figured out that I was getting on the correct bus, but on the wrong side of the road!!! That has really been the hardest part about moving here…how the Ozzies drive on the left side of the road. I have been nearly run over about 3 dozen times because I always look the wrong way when I am crossing the street, and I have had countless panic attacks when other people are driving and it looks like we are about to get into an accident.
Oh well! You live and you learn! Eventually, I will get used to the whole driving thing… and hopefully get a job as well! Wish me luck on the job hunt! I am hoping to be happily employed by my next post!