I can’t believe I have been here almost a MONTH already!! I am definitely not ready to start full-time working again… but my bank account most definitely is! So that will be nice. It’s SO unbelievably hot here!! It hit 96 here today (it’s also so confusing that Americans use Fahrenheit! None of my friends here know what I am talking about when I talk Fahrenheit temps and I am just as confused when they say its boiling at 34 degree! haha)
– Grace and I moved into our new place at Coogee Beach! (pics to come!) The place is great, on a pretty quiet street. My favorite part is that in the middle of the night I can hear crickets instead of club music and cars.
– Another one of my favorite parts of this apartment is Rob’s cat – Marlin! It is, by far, the ugliest cat ever! But it’s so ugly that its adorable! His tongue and bottom pointy teeth ALWAYS stick out!
– The worst part about sticking around Sydney for a while is that a lot of our friends have left… We had to say goodbye to some of the good ones! Alicia left before Surf camp, and Louise and “Whitters” began their journey up the East Coast Tuesday morning. Chloe and Laura went up the East Coast last Sunday, and Chelsie moved in with friends or cousins in Newcastle.
– I have been to quite a few job interviews — and let me tell ya, THANK GOD for GPS’s in phones these days! I don’t know how people got around before them. Landed several jobs actually, and I start a sales position tomorrow. Unfortunately, it’s paid solely on commission… But next week, I think I am starting a job in advertisement. I will have more info on that position Wednesday. I interviewed for a position at the Bondi shopping center, and since Bondi is Sydney’s most famous beach, here is a pic I took after the interview when I did the Bondi to Coogee Beach Walk.
– When I went to interview for this sales position, Grace and I got off the bus WAY too early because we weren’t sure where it was going. I ended up walking about an hour to the interview and arrived a good 20 minutes late. They didn’t seem to mind though (since they did offer me the job by the end of the day).
– Grace and I went to the zoo on Darling Harbour yesterday. It was a fun little visit. We saw a lot of Australian wildlife. As it turns out, 80% of Australia’s wildlife cannot be found anywhere else in the world! And 90% of its reptiles cannot be found anywhere else in the world either. We saw koalas! But we can’t hold koalas in New South Wales so we will wait until we go to a zoo in Queensland to hold one. We got quite a show from Bill, the koala, he got up and climbed around the branches and everything! That’s quite a lot of movement from a koala — who sleeps 20hr/day and eats the other 4!
– We also visited the Chinese Gardens. They were quite pretty, but you could see all the city buildings sticking up from behind all the beautiful greens. So I didn’t bother taking many pictures… It seemed very fake. However, there was a wedding going on when we visited which was exciting.
– Last night Grace and I had our first night out in Coogee! I think our expectations were a bit high considering it was just the two of us, but we were hoping to make new friends! Some Ozzy guy came over and started stroking my hair and then started talking to us and introduced himself… Needless to say, the convo didn’t last long. His hair was not nearly as soft as mine! haha After Coogee Bay Hotel, we went to the Pavilion – which we had heard really good things about from our landlord (Rob) and a few of his friends – but it was full of old people basically (granted, Rob is 40!) so we didn’t stay there long.
– Today the two of us went to a surf festival in Cronulla. It was so much fun!! I hope we make it to more surf festivals. These people were AMAZING! Now that I know what it takes to surf, I felt like I could really appreciate it. The team we decided to root for ended in 2nd place, and we always supported the lone female on every team! It was interesting trying to figure out how these things worked, I think we have a pretty good idea now though. We were good about sun screen too, so neither of us got burned today. We went to Hog’s Breath Cafe for lunch – sounds disgusting, but we were intrigued – I was somewhat disappointed, and the service was awful, but it was an experience.
Grace and I have decided to stay an extra month in Sydney! There is simply too much to do around here, plus it gives a more time to save $$$! The best part about staying through most of April, is that TJ can come visit before I begin traveling my butt off! I am so excited to see him again!! And I think by April, a little piece of home will do me some good. We attempted to get his ticket tonight…but failed… Take Two tomorrow! (I know it shouldn’t be this hard… but we will figure it out.) Anyway, my time here in Sydney keeps looking better and better!! 🙂
P.S. I just discovered Groupon!! How have I got 23 years without it?!?! Such good deals …makes even the boring stuff seem tempting! haha
Pictured below are some of my Ultimate Oz friends that have moved on from Sydney and are being seriously missed…